Getting a visa

It is necessary for Bruneian nationals to apply for entry clearance to the UK if you plan to stay in the UK for longer than six months or if applying for certain categories of visas. Bruneian nationals wishing to undertake short holidays in the UK do not require prior entry clearance.

Applying for a Student Visa

The immigration category for students is called ‘Tier 4′ and it is part of the Points Based System. You can find more detailed information from the UK Border Agency (UKBA).

You can apply for an adult student visa if you are coming to the United Kingdom for your post-16 education, if you are studying for A levels, for example.

If you are 16 or 17 years old and want to study a course at National Qualification Framework level 3 or above, you can agree with your approved education provider either to apply as an adult or child.  Those studying for an English language qualification at Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) Level A2 or above must apply as an adult student.

We advise that you make your plans early because the permission application process may require you to travel and the application process can take some time.

You can submit your application through the online application service at the visa section of the High Commission:

How to apply to come to the UK to start a new course of study

Please see the UKBA Policy Guidance and UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) for more detailed information about the documents required for your application.

If you intend to bring your family with you when you come to the UK to study, it is better for you all to apply at the same time.

Overview of the Tier 4 Student Visa Application Process

  • UKVisas has a leaflet INF29 to help you make your application;
  • Complete the online application form
  • Each of your separate dependant family members (e.g. spouse or child under 18) will have to complete a separate application form. You will need a set of documents for your own application and a set of photocopies for your dependants’ applications;
  • Each dependant will have to pay a separate application fee;
  • The fee for each student and each dependant application from overseas is £145;
  • If you are a new student, the university you have accepted an offer from will need to send you a ‘confirmation of acceptance for studies’, known as ‘CAS’ which is a unique number that you will need in order to apply for your visa. Most universities will send the CAS unique number to you in a ‘CAS statement’ or letter, which will include other details of your offer. You should receive this from your chosen university once you have accepted the offer and met the all conditions.
  • You will need to provide all original documents listed in the visa letter; originals plus one photocopied full set and one passport photographs (in colour, with a white background and measuring 45mm X 35mm).
  • If you are a sponsored student, you will need an official sponsor / scholarship letter as evidence
  • If you are self-funded or you are financially supported by friends or family, you will need to show that you have your first year of fees and maintenance (£5,400 for a student and £3,600 for each dependant) in your own bank account/joint bank account in your name or in the form of an official loan.
  • You must show you have had the funds in your bank account or your parents’ bank account for at least 28 days. If you are using your parents’ bank statements you also need to provide a letter of consent from them that gives permission for you to use their funds. You also need to provide your original birth certificate as evidence of your relationship to your parents. However, if you are applying to a university that has ‘Highly-trusted sponsor’ status, you may not need to provide as much information, but do check this before you make your application.

Extending an Existing Student Visa

If you already hold a valid student visa and wish to extend this in order to finish a course or take a new course, please see the quick guide on the UKBA website:

If you require further information, please see the UKBA Policy Guidance and UKCISA (UK Council for International Student Affairs) for more information about the documents required for your application. Or contact the Visa section of the British High Commission:

The Visa Section
Unit 2.01, Second Floor,
Block D
Kompleks Yayasan Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah
Jalan Pretty
Bandar Seri Begawan BS8711
Brunei Darussalam

Tel: +673 222 6001 or +673 222 2231
Fax: +673 223 4315
E-mail: Visa Section